Friday, April 17, 2020

Fruits and Veggies during Quarantine

Hello!  I'm truly thankful to say that fresh fruit and vegetables are not things we are lacking in our grocery stores. I know some people are, but thankfully we are not.  Honestly for the most part I eat local fruits and veggie that I grow or get from my farmers' market. Right now I have a great farmer who delivers to our door!  Thanks Rick!  So last Sunday my eldest daughter, Madeleine, and I thought can we still eat 30 different varieties in a week, after reading about a 30 day post in Eating Well magazine.   We decided you needed to eat about 1/4 cup of something to merit putting it on the list.  We did it.  She finished 2 meals before I did, but I still did it.  I thought I'd share some meals where I sneaked in a few more varieties.

Here's the list -


Lunch ideas: leftover pizza from the week before that I topped with olives, mushrooms and spinach. I served it with kale salad and 1/4 c radishes.  


Another day- quinoia veggie sauté. I do this alot.  The new veggie was snap peas that needed to be used soon and pea shoots. (I also had more mushrooms and spinach)


Breakfast - Harissa baked eggs. (There are bunch of tomatoes in the sauce). We served it with socca, a chickpea flour bread. This was really yummy. 


Dinner - A double veggie of roasted brussel sprouts and cranberries, from my freezer.  I served it with hummus baked chicken and pasta with lemon cream.  My husband made homemade pasta. 


Some other ideas include smoothies (we had 2 different types over the week), of course a snack, omelets with veggie filling and fruit on the side, and a fruit based dessert. Yes I think it counts.  

Give it a try!
As always with love from the Midwest and stay healthy and safe,
Beth 




No comments:

Post a Comment