Saturday, February 29, 2020

52 for 52 Week 8

Hello! Well I'm still keeping up with something new each week.  For me that's hard to believe.  Sometimes I have to remind myself that new doesn't have to be a new dinner, but something small. However for this week the new was doughnuts.  Many years ago I made fried doughnuts for my family, and they were delicious.  However the only problem was they went stale very quickly, like by the next day.  In a recent issue of Fine Cooking I found a recipe for baked donuts and wanted to give it a try.  Fortunately it was my birthday and I thought a doughnut pan was a perfect gift for one of my children to give me.   I also got a new red Kitchen Aid Mixer since my other one finally died. 

Red is my favorite color

The recipe for vanilla cake doughnuts came together super simply.  I only have one pan, which is just fine since they also slipped right out of the pan and I could cook the second batch a little later.  To keep things simple I glazed them with the chocolate glaze and decorated with a few sprinkles.  The recipe made 12; which I made Sunday.  They were gone by the time I came home from work on Monday.  It does help to have a 16 year old boy around and his friends.  I think next time I want to try the spiced variation with cinnamon sugar.  Hopefully a little reminiscent of an apple cider doughnut or make a lemon poppy seed.  

Just waiting to go into the oven


If you've ever thought about making doughnuts but didn't want to deal with the frying I highly recommend  this option.  As always I hope you are inspired to try something new this week.

With love from the Midwest,
Beth 

No comments:

Post a Comment