Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Madison Overnight

I really love traveling to Madison.  Before my oldest went to UW Madison, I had never been to the city.  I was missing a lot. I love to eat and Madison is filled with great places to eat and local food shops.  I know there places to see in the vicinity, but usually I'm there to see my daughter and enjoy some good food.  I like to stay at the Concourse Hotel. It's right on the square so many things are within walking distance or a short drive. I tend to do my driving first and then park the car and walk to dinner and cafés.  

Lunch started at La Kitchenette.  This is a darling French restaurant. It's super tiny so I suggest a reservation. I had buckwheat crepes with smoked salmon and light mayonnaise spread, green salad and of course a glass of wine, a Vouvray. 


After lunch we stopped next door at The Underground Butcher.  This store is a meat and salami lover's dream.  I picked up some kielbasa for a future dinner.  I will definitely go back when I'm there.


Next up after some errands was a stop at Camp Trippalindee.  I met some of my daughter's friends and enjoyed some bug juice, a rum cocktail.  The weather was finally warm and there was outside seating.  This was a nice way to spend a late Saturday afternoon. 


Dinner was at Estrellon for tapas. We did the chef's tasting menu and it was delightful.  I actually ate beets - the one vegetable I really  don't like. These beets were roasted, smoked and delicious. In addition we were seated at the chef's table looking into the kitchen.  I would really recommend it if there is just two of you.  


Beet tartar 

Breakfast on Sunday at Bloom.  My daughter needs to be gluten free and this little bakery is just wonderful. We shared a lemon poppy seed baked donut to start while we waited for our breakfasts.


Breakfast was a Bloom Benedict, poached eggs, micro-greens, honey drizzle and chevre on top of homemade biscuits.   Yum! 


As you can see this was a delicious weekend!  I hope you are inspired to take a short road trip and discover something new in your state or one near by.

As always with love from the Midwest,
Beth 




No comments:

Post a Comment