Saturday, January 25, 2020

52 for 52 Week 4

Hello!  I'm settling into my winter Saturday routine. That includes yoga, an indooor farmers' market (if there is one) and then a delicious breakfast.  Today it was buckwheat pancakes for 1. It's just me this morning so I thought I'd write my week 4 blog while I have some more coffee.  I've really enjoyed the challenge of trying a new recipe and/or food each week so far.  Hopefully I can keep it up.  

This week was Chicken Antipasto from Eating Well.   This was a delicious main course and very quick to put together.  The only ingredient I didn't have was pepperocinis; I forgot to pick them up on my weekly grocery shop and was too lazy to go back. Instead, I subbed capers and red pepper flakes, both of which I always have on hand.  It truly does pay to have a well stocked pantry. I served this with roasted potatoes and cauliflower. I always try to roast multiple things at once.  The recipe calls for broiling the chicken at the end.  My roasted veggies and potatoes just sat on the stove top for the 2-3 minutes that I needed to broil the chicken, and everything just worked out great. 


The next new thing I tried wasn't really new, a beet.  I've had them multiple ways but I really don't like beets, except for very few instances.  Today, thanks to a food demo at the farmers' market I found a new way.  This is a roasted beet on top of a seeded cracker, topped with blue cheese, carrots, arugula and balsamic reduction.  Maybe it's because I tasted a lot of blue cheese, which I love, that I enjoyed the small bite of beet.  But who knows?  Maybe I'll learn to love beets as I get older. 


That's all for now, keep trying new recipes and food to get out of the foodie rut.  
As always with love from the Midwest,
Beth 

No comments:

Post a Comment