Monday, January 30, 2017

Favorite Bran Muffins

I love breakfast and I can't imagine not starting my day with something delicious.  Many times we hear bran muffins and think of boring or tasteless muffins, or if they are really good they are not quiet as healthy as we want them to be.  I found a very tasty muffin recipe years ago yet it wasn't quiet up to what I wanted for a "healthy muffin."   So after some changes I came up with a recipe that I feel is true to me.  I love starting my day with 2 muffins and fruit and of course coffee; it so easy to just quickly warm them up in the microwave for a short time.  

The method is a traditional muffin method of mixing the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients in two separate bowls.


I have standard muffins so it makes about 18.  I'm also a fan of the paper liners so there is less cleanup at the end.


Play around with the fruit you put in the muffins or add some nuts for protein.  There are no raisins in this recipe because that is one of the few foods I really don't like.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Line muffin tins if using muffin/cupcake liners.

In one bowl mix:
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 large eggs
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (a small travel pack)
1/4 cup veggie oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 1/2 cups All-Bran Cereal

Let this sit for about 5 minutes to soften the cereal stirring occasionally.

In another bowl combine and whisk:
1/2 cup AP flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup bran flakes
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt

Add the dry ingredients to the wet and combine.  At this point add fresh or frozen fruit if you are using, about 1-1 1/2 cups.  I used a combination of the last of the summer blueberries and raspberries for this batch. 

Bake for about 20-25 minutes.

Go into your kitchen and play and bon appétit!
As always with love from the midwest,
Beth 

No comments:

Post a Comment