Saturday, March 26, 2016

Thank you Julia

I really love Julia Child.  I love watching the old French Chef series and reading her cookbooks. She's delightfully witty and practical as well.   Over the Easter season I thought I'd share one of my recipes for ham filled crepes.  I was inspired by Julia on this one.  

Why the ham?  Well we order a 1/2 hog along with our 1/2 cow every year and one of the things that comes with a hog is a whole ham, cut in 1/2.  So I've had to be creative with leftover ham over the past years.  My original recipe called for chicken so its an easy switch.

But first you must make the crepes. If you haven't attempted this you must.  Really the batter is very easy and takes less than 5 min to prepare.  It must sit for at least 1 hour if not more.  I use Alton Brown's recipe from  Good Eats. It's never failed me and works for both savory and sweet crepes.  In the true fashion of Julia if you mess up a few crepes, which you will, just save them for ice cream sundaes or no one will notice if they are under a bechamel sauce either.  So don't worry.


There are a few ugly crepes on the side.

The next step is to make a bechamel sauce.  I like to use 4 T butter, 4 T flour to 3 cups milk.  Again if you don't have this multi-purpose sauce in your repertoire just look it up.  You can use it with anything.

Now make the filling. I like to add mushrooms and red pepper.  Really you are just sautéing ham and the vegetables and a few spices incuding a few tablespoons of sherry.   I like to add 1/2 of the bechamel sauce to the ham and warm though.

Next fill the crepes with the ham filling and roll up the crepe and put in a lightly greased 13X 9 " pyrex pan, or something similar.  I pour the rest of the sauce over the crepes and top with a handful of cheese. (Now you see why if you crepe are not beautiful it doesn't matter.)  I like to bake it for about 20 minutes at 350-375 degrees.

As for the wine? My house white will do, but a white burgundy to keep all things French would also be lovely.
A filled crepe

ready to go in the oven.




Bon Appétit,
Beth 

No comments:

Post a Comment