Sunday, December 13, 2015

Family favorites

All of the ingredients ready to go.
Fudge -ready to eat. I keep mine in our refrigerator for weeks.
 When I was a little girl one of my favorite memories of my grandmother Dorthy was helping to make fudge.  I feel as if we made it almost every time I was at her house.  Before I inherited the recipe the ingredient I remember adding was sugar.  Lots and lots of sugar. When I came across her recipe it called for Oleo, and ingredient I had no idea at the time what it was.  I then lost the card.  Finally years later and several fudge recipes later I found this one in Taste of Home.  This is it; what I remembered of the fudge of my childhood. I served it to my father and he agreed it was just like his mother's fudge.  I make this recipe now in Christmas time and it is a family favorite as well as anyone's who is lucky enough to receive the gift of fudge.    Please try and I hope you enjoy! 

Here is the recipe for Mackinac Fudge:
  • 2 teaspoons plus 1 cup butter, divided
  • 4 cups sugar
  • 1 cup 2% milk
  • 25 large marshmallows  (or 250 small)
  • 1 package (11-1/2 ounces) milk chocolate chips
  • 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
  • 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • Line a 13-in. x 9-in. pan with foil; grease the foil with 2 teaspoons butter.
  • In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, milk and remaining butter. Bring to a rapid boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook, without stirring, for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
  • Stir in marshmallows until melted. Add all chocolate; stir until melted. Stir in vanilla. Immediately spread into prepared pan; cool for 1 hour.
  • Score into 1-in. squares. Refrigerate, covered, for 3 hours or until firm. Using foil, lift out fudge. Remove foil; cut fudge. Store between layers of waxed paper in airtight containers. Yield: 3 pounds 
  

As always enjoy the gift of time in your kitchen to make nourishing and delicious treats and meals for your family.

Beth 

No comments:

Post a Comment