Monday, October 12, 2015

Goodbye to my garden


Well this weekend my husband and I pulled up our garden.  It's always a sad day for me. There is nothing better than going to your back yard and picking veggies and herbs for your what ever you are cooking.  The garden this year did pretty well considering it was a colder Wisconsin summer and the trees in our neighborhood are getting bigger and provide a lot of shade.   We grew tomatoes, lettuce, Swiss chard, zucchini, patty pan squash, butternut squash (I got one), radishes, eggplants, cucumbers, potatoes and our asparagus patch did very well.  I also have an herb garden.

I very into local ingredients and I was able to avoid the grocery store for most produce from the end of June until this week.  Between my garden and the farmer's market for fruit we did very well.  I was also able to can many things this year (this will be another post).

This week's veggie recipes might include summer squash casserole, baked tomatoes Provencal, sauteed Swiss chard, cucumber salad and maybe the last of the years's ratatouille, and definitely potatoes.
The remains of this year's garden, some herbs and Swiss chard.


What are you doing with your last harvest of the season?

Beth 
The last harvest.

No comments:

Post a Comment