Friday, April 14, 2017

Dinner for a busy week

Well since spring break ended our house has been a revolving door.  All three of my children are involved in spring sports, 2 in soccer and one in lacrosse.  We really make family meals a priority in our house, and it does help that in general we don't sit down until 7:30-8 pm nightly.  However there are some nights when we don't sit down together at all or maybe it's just two of us at a meal.  That's when I have to think of meals that can be reheated easily in one pot.  One of the easiest meals I make for this is  ground beef tacos. I make the taco meat a head and it can be warmed up by whoever is ready to eat either in the microwave or on the stove. They of course can add what ever toppings we have to the taco. Sometimes I pre-make a salad dressing too.  As I did in this case.  It's just a simple olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper mix. It can sit on the counter and be added to salad for anyone who wants it.  Tonight I also pulled out a jar of my corn salad that I made during last summer's corn season.  My daughter is preparing dinner for herself, in this picture. 



Here's my taco recipe that I've been using for years from Cook's Illustrated. 

  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, minced
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • ½ teaspoon oregano
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • Salt
  • 1 pound extra-lean ground beef or ground turkey
  • ½ cup tomato sauce
  • ½ cup chicken broth
  • 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
Brown the ground beef and onion.  Drain, return back to the skillet and add seasonings.  Cook for a few minutes and then add the tomato sauce, broth, vinegar and brown sugar. Let the mixture simmer for 5-10 minutes and serve.

I really like mine with crisp lettuce, avocado and cilantro if we have it.

Bon Appétit,
and as always with love from the Midwest,
Beth 





No comments:

Post a Comment