Monday, April 3, 2017

A week of French Food

This week I've been given the gift of time during my spring break.  My children and I are on different schedules for school so I've been alone much of the week.  It's been a great time to hit the pause button, go to yoga, read books, watch my TV and of course cook.  I received Mimi Thorisson's 2 books for my birthday in February and I thought it was time to start delving in.  The pictures are beautiful and what I have tried so far is delicious.  Of course I also did a nod to Julia and Dorrie Greenspan's Around my French Table.  What follows are pictures of my various French dishes throughout the week.

For lunch Dorrie's celery-celery soup.  This is a combination of apples, celery root and celery. It's sweet and light.  I served it with cheese and bread for a wonderful lunch.


To keep warm in late winter early spring, thanks to Julia, I made a potato gratin with kielbasa sausage layered inside.  This is one of her variations in Mastering Vol. 1.


Next for dinner I made poulet chasseur, from Mimi Thorisson's French Country Cooking.  A delightful combination of braised chicken legs, mushrooms, onions and sage.  I served it with polenta and asparagus for Sunday dinner. I also made chestnut bread.  Not having used chestnuts, I find the bread to have a very different interesting flavor. 



Finally this week from A Kitchen in France I made Chocolate Meringues.  The recipe called to serve them with chocolate sauce and whip cream.  I like sweet, but this was a bit too sweet.  I think next time I serve the meringues I'll serve them with fresh strawberries or raspberries and whip cream.  



Bon Appétit!
 and as always with love from the Midwest,
Beth 


No comments:

Post a Comment