Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Recent Reads

Hello!  I've been reading a lot this summer, as I usually do.  There's nothing better in my mind to sit outside on a summer afternoon and read a book or to start my day off by reading a chapter or two.  I've read so many good books so I thought I'd share the titles and a very brief synopsis.  


The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton - A classic, this book is set in 1870's New York City.  My book club decided to read a classic for the summer.  This book took a little bit to get into, but it is a witty worthwhile read. 
The Queen of Hearts by Kimmery Martin -  Two friends since medical school and a secret that comes out later in their lives. A simple summer/beach read.
Farewell, My Subaru by Doug Fine - I always like a local eating read. While this book was not all about eating local, Doug Fine does do that it is more about trying to create an off the grid life.
The Book of Summer by Michelle Gable - A mother and daughter conflict set in Nantucket and trying to save a family home.  Again another beach/summer read.
Becoming by Michelle Obama - I thought this book would be political and it was refreshingly not.  My college age daughter could identify with a college aged Michelle and I could definitely identify with the working mom. I would say all women should read this. 
The Lake House by Kate Morton - a murder took place 70 years ago and finally gets solved. I don't usually read mysteries but I really enjoyed this book.
Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate - This book is based on real life of  illegal adoption during the 1930s and also takes place present day. It was well written and interesting to learn about a  history I did not know. 
South of Paradise by Kristy Woodson Harvey - This book is the final in the Peach Tree Bluff series.  As always this was a charming read while I was sitting on the Florida beach.  

I hope you find a few interesting reads from this list.
As always with love from the Midwest,
Beth 

No comments:

Post a Comment