Thursday, August 15, 2019

Chicago

"My kind of town, Chicago is.." to quote the great Frank Sinatra.  That's just how I feel about the city.  I grew up in the northern suburbs of Chicago and my parents are still there.  I really prefer to live in Northeastern WI, however it is always fun to go into the city.  My middle daughter and I just went the other day for a quick overnight. This is a little tradition I started with my girls when they turned 16.  We drive into the city and arrive for lunch.  After a lovely lunch, of their choice, we spend the rest of the day however they want.  Usually we leave the city by 4-4:30 head back to my parents for cocktails and dinner and stay there overnight.  We're back by early afternoon the next day.  

This trip was no different except for what we did. My daughter planned everything.  We started with a lunch at Cafecito.  We shared yucca fries and I had a pressed tuna sandwich with a glass of wine.  We always choose a place where we can sit outside and people watch. Honestly that's half the fun of the trip. 



After lunch we walked a few blocks over to the Museum of Contemporary Art. When we got there we found this cute little farmers' market.  We could have had lunch here, but we didn't know it was taking place.


The museum was really interesting, if you have an open mind about what is "art."  If you only like the classics and impressionists skip this museum and head over to the Art Institute (which is fantastic). But, I found this a nice departure from the normal. 


Out in their courtyard they offer evening jazz on Tuesdays.  It would have been fun; if we were staying down later. 


We then decided to do some walking along Michigan Ave to the river and then up to Oak Street Beach.  Honestly I'd never been there before so that was a fun experience. Again I just love the energy the city gives off, and it was a beautiful day.  


We ended our day with this iconic view of the Hancock Building, the Drake and other Gold Coast buildings.  Just beautiful.  


If you haven't recently I highly recommend taking an overnight to this great city, especially if it is only a few hours away.  

As always with love from the Midwest,
Beth 



No comments:

Post a Comment