Monday, March 11, 2019

The Lowly Parsnip

Until recently I hadn't thought too much about parsnips.  They were a vegetable I would pick up at the grocery towards the end of winter when I was bored.  Now that I started using my winter farmers' market, I see parsnips in a whole new light.  The ones I see at the grocery store are covered in wax and just not a pretty sight.  On the other had what I buy from my favorite vendor (Produce with Purpose) are bright, without wax and store well in my fridge for several weeks.  So what have I made with all of these parsnips well here's a list of some of the recipes and my pictures.  

Well I first went with a muffin.  Honey and Thyme from Dishing up the Dirt.  They have a just a different  light parsnip flavor.  I used dried thyme and 1 cup wheat flour and 3/4 cup AP flour.  


Next up with my shredded parsnips was a Spiced Honey Walnut Bread.    This is delicious, think a winter version of zucchini bread.  I had it topped with natural peanut butter for breakfast.  I used maple syrup for the sweetener and 1/4 cup applesauce and 1/4 canola oil.


This one is Gluten Free; for my eldest.  The original recipe calls for carrots, but of course I used parsnips.  I also didn't have quinoa flakes so I used quick GF oats.  It is also yummy.  Both of my girls liked this one. 


Finally I had some shredded parsnips left over and had no idea what to do with them.  So I sautéed them in butter and olive oil. I also added salt, pepper and thyme and a bit a of white wine.  I wasn't sure how they were going to be received, but my middle daughter said she liked them.  A new veggie is always a win. 


Please try some parsnips; there are so many recipes out there.  They can be swapped for carrots in almost anything.  I'm thinking a cake would be delicious.

As always with love from the Midwest,
Beth 

No comments:

Post a Comment