Saturday, October 27, 2018

A Perfect Fall Day

I really do love fall.  Yes sometimes the weather can be awful: rain, sleet, snow, yes snow.  However some days are just perfect.  Yesterday was one of them.  It was a real delight to be outside.  No wind, upper 40-50 degrees and the some the trees still have color on them.  The garden is mostly put to bed, and even though that means I'll have to buy my produce from the supermarket soon, I know next year I'll  be back out there and at at the farmers' market.


I spent most of my day raking leaves.  Actually, other than a sore shoulder I really like this activity. I even mowed  the lawn for one last time for good measure.  Except for two small trees, the yard is ready for its winter sleep.  


Also what a better way to finish up a great fall day than by making something with squash or pumpkin.  I have several butternut squash from the farmers' market in my basement and I thought it was time to make soup.  Today it was roasted squash and carrot soup. The recipe makes a lot so I had some for lunch, saved some for the school week and froze some for another two lunches. 



As I said a perfect fall day.  

Enjoy the soup:

2 butternut squash - halved and seeds scooped out.
1 pound peeled and large cut carrots
1 large onion chopped in large slices.

Roast all veggies on sheet pans. 375 degrees for about 30-50 minutes depending on your oven.  I put the squash flesh side down on  their own lightly greased sheet. The squash took about 45 minutes total in a convection oven. About ten minutes later I mixed the carrots and onions with olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper and roasted them for about 30 minutes.  When everything was soft and maybe slightly chard I put it in my Vitamix for with 5 1/2 cups chicken broth.  I had to do this in 2 batches and stir everything together in a large bowl at the end. Correct for seasonings. 

I added chia seeds and swirl of olive oil to the finished soup. 

Bon Appétit. 
As always with love from the Midwest,
Beth  


No comments:

Post a Comment