Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Cooking on Vacation

It's been a wonderful June of vacations.  I was blessed to be able to spend 10 days in Florida and then another week at small lake in Wisconsin for a family  reunion. Both times I was lucky to have a full kitchen, but not a full pantry.  I thought I'd share some of my tips for cooking on while on vacation.  

1. Keep food local if you can.  If you've read other posts in this blog you already know that I am a big fan of local food.  This doesn't have to mean just veggies or fruits, but seafood, beef, local stores etc. In Florida my husband and son fished everyday for us and were able to keep us supplied in fish and crab.  Below is a huge flounder they caught.


2. Be okay with simple preparations.  Actually it will save you a lot of hassle especially if you don't know the kitchen.  My son loves grouper so I made him a pan-fried grouper sandwich with lettuce, remoulade sauce, lemon on white bread.  


My daughters and I preferred avocado toast with fresh caught and picked crab for lunch.


3. Have 2 or 3 different ways to prepare your food so you can use up the pantry items you bought. My husband and son caught Spanish Mackerel one day so I found this recipe.  It was so popular that I used it for many fish, and I will definitely use it at home.


This is another preparation of baked whole fish with fresh herbs, lemons, butter, salt and pepper and white wine.  Bake in the oven for 10 minutes at 450 degrees.  The fish should easily flake with a fork.


4. Be willing to try something new along with an old stand by or plenty of snacks or dessert and plenty of wine.

5.  Finally if you are asked to cook for a large group on a vacation be prepared as much as possible ahead of time. Things might be frozen or brought in big coolers in your car if you are driving.   Do anything you can at home or buy pre-made; it really is okay.  People will be appreciative of your efforts.

Happy Vacation and Bon Appétit,
and as always with love from the Midwest,
Beth


No comments:

Post a Comment