Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Fresh Foods of July

As I've said time and time again I'm a huge fan of local food.  It is a little easier said than done in Northeast Wisconsin at certain times of year. I also have some foods that I absolutely love that sadly aren't local, but I purchase anyway. One of which is peaches.  I adore a good peach.  Tree Ripe Fruit truck delivers Pearson's farm peaches in June, July and August.  One of my favorite lunches is a salad of peaches, tomatoes either from my garden or the farmers' market, burrata from a local cheese company, basil and balsamic vinegar from a local vinegar shop.


My husband is making a lot of fresh pasta for us these days.  This picture is of local mushrooms, both farmed and forged, fresh herbs, and burrata again is one of my favorite dinners. I served it with a green salad with lettuce from our garden.


Also how can you go wrong with muffins?  The blueberries are from Michigan -we can't grow them here really.  However the strawberry rhubarb muffins are as local as I can get.  I  used 1 cup strawberries and 1 cup rhubarb because I had so much in my garden.




I hope this post inspires you to see what local foods you can use the rest of this July.  Also if you are interested check out this post about a 200 mile eating local challenge for September.

As always with love from the Midwest,
Beth



No comments:

Post a Comment