Saturday, October 14, 2017

Apples for Breakfast

Generally I don't think of apples as a go to breakfast fruit. I don't know why not, they fall in the fruit category which I always have for breakfast.  However I found this recipe years ago for baked apples, and I look forward to it every fall. Of course it also work well in the winter. I'm still eating local apples which makes this recipe to me all the better.  It's super quick to make since you don't have to peel the apples and it cooks in the microwave. I make enough for the week on Sunday and my mornings are that much easier during the week.



Baked apples 

About 6 chopped apples (don't peel) - I use a 8 x 8" microwave safe dish
Cinnamon to taste
 1/4 c sugar - raw cane sugar or brown sugar works quite well
 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans - really whatever nut you like for a little protein
1/4 c water
sometimes I add some dried cherries or cranberries depending on my mood

Microwave for 20 minutes.  The apples will be soft but still have some shape.  These are all rough measurements of course add more or less of anything for your personal preference.

Bon Appétit!
And as always with love from the Midwest,
Beth 



No comments:

Post a Comment