Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Simple Weekday Birthday

My husband's birthday was Tuesday.  Some years we go out for dinner and others we stay at home; this was a stay home year for our family.  However we do like our traditions and one of them is the birthday person gets to choose their dessert.  My husband's choice is always German Chocolate Cake.   This is just fine with the majority of our family since we are coconut lovers.  This year I knew I wouldn't have time to make the entire cake on his birthday I made it a day ahead.  I do this for cakes a lot.  This way they get the cooling time they need.  One year I didn't and I had melted frosting.  YUCK!  So I made the cake on Monday and we frosted on Tuesday.  My recipe comes from the Cook's Illustrated Best Recipe book of many years ago.  The cake has a great texture from the buttermilk and isn't too chocolaty.  


I wrapped the cakes for the next day.

Finished birthday cake. I'm not much of a decorator.  
For dinner we had sausage mushroom risotto. If there is anything that is a staple food in our house it is risotto.  It's easy to prepare and there are so many varieties.  This recipe uses both porcini and cremini mushrooms to give it an earthy flavor. 


And as always choose  a celebratory wine. My husband enjoys Kendall Jackson Chardonnay so that's what we drank. 

Bon Appétit! 
With love from the Midwest,
Beth 

No comments:

Post a Comment