Thursday, May 5, 2016

The Last Peaches

Well here they are the last can of peaches from the summer of 2015. I guess it is appropriate that I'm finishing up the last of the can foods from 2015 in the spring to get ready for the summer of 2016. It was a bittersweet moment when I pulled them up from the basement this morning.  During the winter I've really appreciated the taste of summer.  I think I've enjoyed them more now when we are between fruit seasons.  The grapefruits directly from Florida (the fruit truck) are gone and the berries are simply not good yet.  So it's been wonderful to go to my basement and pull up a jar of summer.  I've enjoyed these peaches by themselves with my breakfast and on top of cakes for a special treat with whip cream.   

If you haven't canned fruit before because you think it might be too difficult I encourage you to give it a try.  The website http://www.pickyourown.org/ is a great place to start.  They have easy to read directions and pictures.   I did use less sugar then recommended and I had no problems.  Last year I made about 8-10 jars of peaches and more peach jam.   Truly this is not enough. I think  this year I'll can more fruit and make less jam. 

Bon Appétit,
Beth 


No comments:

Post a Comment