Monday, May 9, 2016

May's Pleasures


So I've come to the decision that every month has something to enjoy, maybe it's something that only that month has to offer or the first time in a long while that something is available to do or eat.  So every month it is my intention to remind myself and my readers of those special things.  In Wisconsin May can be a beautiful month (65-70 degrees and sunny) or it can be horrible (40 degrees and rain). Every once in a while I see snow. Yuck!  However it makes our beautiful days that much more special.  

One of my favorite things to do is dry our sheets out on a clothes line.  Actually clothes lines are not allowed in our neighborhood, but I have a rope tied from a tree to our house.  I love the fresh scent  that the sheets have when I change the beds.  I also just love this picture and the branches making a shadow on the sheets.


Another thing May brings is my garden.  I'm always so excited to plant this year's crops.  Just the other day I planted a variety of lettuces and radishes.  After May 15th it is usually okay to plant everything else.  However it doesn't really grow much faster if I plant it in early May vs late.  So I try to pace myself.


The planted part of my garden.  You can also see the compost pile in the corner.


Another plus in May is the food.  My rhubarb plant is starting to pop up.  I love making rhubarb cookies, bread, jelly, crisps and pies.  Also I freeze a lot of it too.   My asparagus crop is starting to produce as well as my herbs. I love local food so ever little bit is a reason to be thankful.  This is the third year with my asparagus so it is really starting to produce quite a bit.  




Even though I love my local food you can't go wrong with Vidalia onions.  If you are not familiar with these sweet onions give them a try.  They are grown in Vidalia, GA and come in only at this time of year.  They are great caramelized, in tarts or baked with beef broth in  individual tinfoil packets. Bake them for about 1 hour at 400 degrees until they are nice and soft.  The result is basically French onion soup without the cheese. Put a bit of butter on the top and chop them up and they an easy side dish. 

What is special about May to you?  A la prochaine,
Beth 

No comments:

Post a Comment