Thursday, August 6, 2015

Zucchini

Zucchini!

I love to garden and am lucky enough to have space for 13"x 20" garden. This supplies our family with plenty of veggies for the summer and early fall.  When I went out to pick the other day there were several zucchini waiting for me.  I love this because then the possibilities are endless of what to do with the harvest.  I decided to make one of my favorite lunches and zucchini bread.

The zucchini fritter recipe is adapted from Deborah Madison's  Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone .  This is a great book even if you are not a vegetarian.  The zucchini bread is my recipe.  It is relatively healthy so I feel it is okay to eat everyday.
8 cups of shredded zucchini just waiting for me.
The start of one of my favorite summer meals zucchini fritters
Fritters and tomatoes from my garden.


My family's favorite zucchini bread, ready for the freezer.
Zucchini Fritters

1 1/2-2 lbs of zucchini shredded and squeezed dry
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 eggs slightly beaten
Fresh herbs - I like basil, parsley and mint -also from my garden
handful of grated cheese or pesto or both
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil

Mix the zucchini, oats, breadcrumbs, eggs and seasonings in a bowl.  Form the mixture into patties.  They will stay together.  Fry until golden brown about 5 minutes per side.  I like to eat mine with tomatoes or tomato sauce or jam.

Leftovers will keep in the fridge for a few days.

Zucchini Bread

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.   Spray 2 loaf pans.  Mix all the ingredients together and bake for 50-55 minutes.  When I make this I usually double the recipe since I'm already baking.  I love this in the morning with peanut butter.

3 eggs
1 3/4 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of vegetable oil
1/2 cup applesauce
2 cups of grated zucchini
1 T vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups AP flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 T cinnamon



No comments:

Post a Comment