Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Apples again!



So last week was apple pie, but as I mentioned last week I bought a bushel of apples.  So I found a recipe for apple butter using my slow cooker in Eating Well magazine. There was quite a bit a apple butter even after the apples cooked down so I decided to can some of it.  If you have't checked out pickyourown.org it is a great wealth of recipes and tips for canning.  They have super simple steps for anyone to follow.  Since the recipe used my slow cooker I started it late Saturday morning and finished up with everything by mid Saturday afternoon.  I also always feel accomplished after canning something.  

I still have a few apples left, probably just enough for applesauce this weekend and maybe a pie or a crisp.

My large crock pot filled with apples.
Final product, some for know and some for later.
Here is the recipe for Apple Chai Butter:
5 lbs apples peeled and chopped
2/3 cup brown sugar
1T vanilla extract
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp cardamon
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp salt.  

Mix everything in the slow cooker and cook on High for 5 hours, then but the lid a-jar and continue cooking for another 2-3 hours.   If you like your apple butter smooth, like me, just use and immersion blender.  

Bon Appétit!
Beth 

No comments:

Post a Comment